Email Abuse: "Spam" or "Unsolicited Commercial Email"
If you have been directed to this page by an email error message, welcome, this page explains possible reasons why your message was rejected and how you may communicate with us. Please read carefully.
Our company policy states (in part), "The equipment and resources (including telephony and computer equipment) of the company have been obtained for the benefit of the company and staff or other people have no right to use them for any other purpose." Therefore, no one has any right to use our computers for purposes not related to our business. This includes email, and connecting to our computers for the purposes of sending email that is not related to our business (as we define it).
Spam, also known as unsolicited commercial email (UCE) or junk mail, is not related to our business, and we choose not to receive it. In order to enforce this decision we use a variety of anti-Spam techniques. Occasionally, these may reject email from legitimate senders, these people may contact us again as described below.
Conversely, we do not send out spam ourselves. We use our address lists in accordance with the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance, we do not resell them. We do not purchase bulk mailing lists, in most cases we have an email address because the owner gave it to us. We will remove you from our mailing lists on request. We also secure our mail servers against unauthorised use by spammers. We welcome reports of abuse and will investigate and take action as appropriate.
"But My Message Isn't Spam!"
Your message should fulfil these criteria:
- The message was solicited:
- The recipient, or a qualified representative, asked you to send the message, or
- The address was advertised as a contact point for the purpose you are using it
- The message is in a language that the recipient can understand
- The From: and/or Reply To: addresses in the message must work, and must relate to the actual message sender
- The recipient has not asked to be removed from the mailing list
- The recipient has not asked you to stop sending email
Your message must not:
- be sent to a mailing list that the recipient did not request to be added to, or any kind of purchased bulk mailing list
- propose any kind of illegal or unethical activities
- be sent using an open SMTP relay
If your message meets these requirements, but has been rejected, please contact us on +852 25550209. We will ask you for the rejected message and the error reported, so that we can correct the problem in future.
Reasons for Rejection
In most cases, the error message you have received indicates the specific reason for rejection:
User unknown: There is no such email address at this company, please check you address book. There may be additional information:
??? was NEVER an address at this site: some bulk mailing lists contain corrupt addresses and we regularly receive spam for them
??? is no longer staff in this organisation: the person named has left, and we do not have forwarding information
Misuse of mailing list: the address was legitimately subscribed to a mailing list, but the list was subsequently misused (e.g. evidence of sale of the list to third parties, or invalid From: or Reply-to: fields). The address has therefore been disabled.
Rejected: List ???: The sending server is included on a blacklist of known abusive servers. The particular lists, and contacts for further information are indicated by the three-letter code:
- RBL : "Relatime Blackhole Listing", see http://www.mail-abuse.org/rbl/
- DUL : "Dialup", see http://www.mail-abuse.org/dul/
- RSS : "Relay Spam Stopper", see http://www.mail-abuse.org/rss/
- SBL : "Spamhaus Block List", see http://www.spamhaus.org/SBL/
- SPC : "Spamcop", see http://spamcop.net/bl.shtml
- OSS : "Osirusoft", see http://relays.osirusoft.com/
- MPL : "MailProve", see http://www.mailprove.net/
- AGD : Company blacklist - contact us as described above if you consider the inclusion of your mail server is unjustified
- BLS : Company blacklist - contact us as described above if you consider the inclusion of your mail server is unjustified
Your message looks like spam.: Our spam filter has compared your message with a large number of known spam and non-spam messages, and has statistically determined that your message has spam-like features. Please contact us as described above if the statistical result is inaccurate.